Friday 20 July 2007

motivation

When registering for runs/walks around the traps, you usually have to go somewhere to pick up your participants package, which usually includes your runners number, a chip if you are doing the half marathon or marathon and the essential t-shirt.

For the Scotia Bank run, we got a t-shirt and a bunch of brochures about other runs, a sample tube of sun block, hand and that was about it, which was kind of cool, I thought. The HBC Run For Canada runners pack was a real bonus: sample sun block, hand cream, chocolate almonds, a hat, gum, water flavour crystals, a toy for the kids, brochures about other runs AND the essential t-shirt; it was like Christmas. The best thing in the runners pack was a pedometer or step counter. Accompanying the step counter was a little card explaining the step counter and supplying a guide as to what the number of steps one records, means. Under 5000 steps, suggests you have lead a fairly sedentary life, 5000-7499 means you undertake a low level of activity, 7500-9999 means you are somewhat active, 10,000 means you lead an active lifestyle, and above 12,500 means you are highly active. The aim, the card suggests, is to lead an active lifestyle, thus taking at least 10,000 steps per day. There are even online walking clubs you can join for extra motivation, like this one launched in Brisbane and others, like this one. You could say that I have taken this little motivational challenge to heart. Actually, it is quite a handy little device, showing me how little activity I do when I have a slackers day in front of the computer.

Ideally, I like to get the sedentary status off the radar before lunch time, so anything after that is a bonus. It is funny how different activities use different steps, say I go to Curves and that is it, a curves work out is about 2,500 steps, so Curves alone is not enough. If I walk there as well, I might almost reach the 10,000 step mark, so on the weekend, when I can walk to Curves, I can reach the 10,000 before breakfast, and that feels fantastic.

On Monday, I was too tired to go to Curves (felt like shit actually), but I still had a list of jobs to do around the house. I was really surprised at the end of the day, to find that I had recorded over 11,000 steps, just by doing the housework.

Currently the step counter is a bit of an obsession, but it is a healthy one. I want to be active, who it helps to have something that tells me the truth about just how active or inactive I have been on any given day. A pedometer is a fairly simple device and reasonably inexpensive too. If you have a chance to get one, I would recommend it. I don't want to be sedentary - do you?

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I know I've got one of those little buggers somewhere...you have motivated me to search for it. I totally dread what it will tell me tho, for I spend waaaaay too much time in front of this screen. And it's really starting to show.

ELIZABETH said...

I too was suprised at how many steps are involved in just doing things around the house.

I am finding that having an exercise routine works best. I know I'm getting up and moving in the morning and it seems to set the pace for the rest of my day.

Muse said...

My mom bought me one of these a while ago. It is still in the packet. I never thought of just using it as a way of gauging activity. You have made it fun... I'll have to go find the damn thing... heh heh.

But I will try.